May 6, 2014
¡Hola mi gente! I write this from the salon (if I have a beer open, is it “SALOON?”) of s/v YOLO. The drive down was just lovely, no red lights again! This is a very good thing because I had a bundle of fruit formerly known as Cuties…now Smileys or some other nonsense.
The remainder of the day was a little brutal, as I had to unload all the goodies from the car up a 20 foot ladder, single handed (sailor talk for BY MYSELF). Not fun. And it was about 98F or so. But before that began, I had to hose down the majority of the deck and cockpit to rid the previous months collection of the fine Mexican sand and dust. Also had to run extension cords to plug in our shore power. I did some other odds and ends but nothing worth mentioning. Good times.
I rousted up this morning and was insanely motivated. Here is what went down over the course of the day:
- Installed replacement cabinet latch in aft head
- Installed two 12V fans in aft cabin, including running new wires, as the old one were extremely old and brittle.
- Installed our new Pioneer stereo.
- Removed all the old speakers, as their cones were rotted, four total.
- Removed teak grate from cockpit and scrubbed and cleaned cockpit sole
- Installed replacement reading light in aft cabin
- Rewired the primary bilge pump that I had semi-repaired on my last trip. Now that I know how to use heat shrink butt splices and have a ratcheting crimper, it’s a whole new game.
- Ordered LED light bulbs for all reading lights
- Ordered new speakers
New discoveries (not found by surveyor, go figure):
- I think we will need a new stove (see photos below)
- Severe corrosion and patch on heat exchanger elbow (i think this is what it is called)?…it appears to be a separate section that bolts on to actual heat exchanger body.
- Dried, weeping rust marks on the chainplates…need to pull these and have them examined. We will probably rebed all deck hardware as well.
- 12 DVD movies behind one of the speakers…the previous owner really liked ARNOLD. Let me know if you need any movie that he has appeared in, ever. I got you covered. Shocking that I am still finding stuff like this.
Questions for the boat experts out there?
- What are your thoughts on the stove: find replacement part or get new one? If so, is Force 10 still a good brand?
- Am I correct in calling the part off the back of the heat exchanger an “elbow”? Where can I source a new one? For what it is worth…I have a brand new factory Perkins heat exchanger that was left by the previous owner, but it is just the main body…NO elbow section.
- Why are the belts on my engine and genset turned inside out?
- Why is the BOAT acronym so damn accurate!!!???
Lot’s of stuff happening back at home – kids are approaching the end of their school year, house on the market, having our 3rd garage sale on Saturday, and I will be going to captain training on a new aircraft in mid June!
I apologize for the poor picture quality…we did get a new DSLR camera but I don’t want to break it out quite yet with all the dirty work here on the boat.